Food Safety Controls on Meat
Food safety controls on meat in Ireland are regulated by a number of measures commonly referred to as the 'Hygiene Package'. Under the Hygiene Package the Department of Agriculture, Food and the Marine is entitled to carry out inspections of all meat establishments for hygiene approval.
The Hygiene Package regulates the following areas:
- Food and feed hygiene.
- The production, control and marketing of products of animal origin.
- Animal health issues in relation to the production of those products.
What is in this section?
- Game Meat
- Trader Notices
- Useful websites
- Information on Import of Animals and Animal Products
- Food Chain Information
- Clean Livestock Policy
- Meat Establishments approved by the Department under S.I. 434 of 1997 (doc 27Kb)
- Meat Establishments (incorporating Fish, Egg & Dairy Establishments) Approved by the Department under S.I. 432 of 2009 (xls 131Kb)
- Meat Establishments Approved for Export to Saudi Arabia (xls 24Kb)
- Information note on the approval process for meat processing establishments (doc 36Kb)
- Notice of Intent (doc 123Kb)