By using this website, you consent to our use of cookies. For more information on cookies see our privacy policy page.

Text Size: a a
HomeA-Z IndexSubscribe/RSS Contact Us Twitter logo small white bird

Contact Us

Frequently Asked Questions

Who is eligible to apply for the 2017 Weather Related Crop Loss Support Measure?

Commercial cereal growers who experienced greater than 30% loss in tonnes of grain sold as a result of the wet harvest conditions in September 2016. Eligible crops are spring wheat, spring barley, spring oats and spring oilseed rape. Winter cereal or oilseed rape crops are not eligible for support or inclusion in calculations of loss. The measure only applies to losses not covered by an applicant’s insurance.

If I use a portion of my grain harvest as on-farm feed am I eligible to apply?

Yes. While financial aid will only be paid where losses relate to off-farm sales, incidental on-farm use of up to 20% of the harvested crop will not affect eligibility. However, where on-farm use accounted for greater than 20% of the harvested crop in 2016 a grower is not eligible for support under the measure.

I have changed my cereal production system in 2017 does this affect my application?

No. This measure relates solely to losses experienced in 2016 as a result of the wet weather.

How do I record crop losses on the application form?

A claim under this measure must be based on losses in off-farm sales (by tonnage) of 30% and above in 2016 relative to the three preceding reference years 2013, 2014 & 2015 (subject to a ceiling of national reference yields). Details of these losses must be recorded on the “Losses Verification Table” in Annex A on the application form clearly setting out areas grown and tonnages for 2016 and each of the three previous reference years. This information is required in order to provide for calculation of losses per hectare which is the basis for determination of overall percentage loss.

What documentation do I need to support my application?

To support your claim please provide evidence of sales by tonnage of the eligible crops in each of the 4 years 2013, 2014, 2015 & 2016, using for example, weighbridge receipts, dockets, invoices or any other relevant supporting documentation including relevant extracts from previously submitted farm accounts.

These documents will be assessed by the Department of Agriculture, Food and the Marine in order to ascertain and verify eligibility for support under this measure.

Please also provide a purchasers statement of accounts outlining the level of sales of eligible crops for all of the 4 years from 2013-2016.

It is important to note that the provision of incorrect or misleading information will result in an application being deemed ineligible under this measure

What are the rates of aid available?

Where crop losses exceed 30%, compared to the reference period (2013-15), a payment rate of €200 per hectare of eligible crops will apply, up to a maximum of 35 ha. Where verified losses exceed 50% of eligible crops an additional hardship payment of €100/ha will apply, up to the maximum eligible area.

In the event that the number of eligible applications received exceeds the total budget available for the measure, reduced payments on a linear basis will be applied as appropriate.

Is there a minimum/maximum amount of aid payable by area?

35 hectares of eligible crops is the maximum area per applicant on which support is payable. The minimum qualifying area of eligible crops is 3 hectares.

What is the closing date for applications?

Applications must be received in the Department of Agriculture, Food and the Marine by Friday 25th August 2017 and all applications must include the signed declaration by the applicant that the details provided are complete and true as well as the signature of the applicants accountant or financial advisor.

Will I be subject to an on-farm Inspection in relation to my claim?

Applications may be subject to on-farm verification by the Department of Agriculture, Food and the Marine or an agent working on behalf of the Department.  This verification will include an assessment of the details of losses outlined on this application form. 

Please note these FAQ’s are intended as a guide only, please refer to the Terms and Conditions of the scheme for full details relating to the application of this measure.