By using this website, you consent to our use of cookies. For more information on cookies see our privacy policy page.

Text Size: a a
HomeA-Z IndexSubscribe/RSS Contact Us Twitter logo small white bird

Registration & Procedures for Export

Only registered exporters may apply for phytosanitary certification of consignments of plant and plant produce to a Third Country. DAFM requires a minimum of 14 days notice prior to export to enable inspectors to arrange an inspection and allow for any laboratory testing that may be required to be completed. Applicants are required to complete and submit the following information via our online Export Certification System (ECS):

1) Access online Phytosanitary Certificate application form here

2) Enter the text that matches a CAPTCHA image and click on Proceed to continue; The Request Certificate screen will display Certificate Types which can be applied for from the list on the dropdown options.

3) Select certificate type “Phytosanitary Plant & Horticulture Certificate” which will then display the fields relevant to the Certificate.

4) Complete online application form (mandatory fields are indicated with * and must be completed).

5)Upload written confirmation from the NPPO (National Plant Protection Organisation) of the country of destination confirming the Phytosanitary Import requirements.

  • Scanned copies of emails in PDF or Excel format are acceptable.
  • Contact details for Countries NPPOs can be found here.

Please note: Phytosanitary certificates should only be issued for plants, plant products and/or other regulated articles. Written confirmation shall confirm the requirement for a Phytosanitary Certificate for the plant, plant product or other article concerned and should also detail any additional declarations that are required.

6) For Export of Potatoes Only

 Potato Export Grower Information Form

Please complete the attached form and upload with your online application together with the other appropriate documentation where required.

7) Click on Submit to submit the request for processing. Note: prior to clicking on Submit, the user may also upload any documents (must be in PDFand/or Excel format) to support the application. 


If all is in order, a message is displayed to the user:

  • informing the applicant that the request has been logged with the Department for processing;
  • informing the applicant that they will be contacted in due course using the email address provided/retrieved;
  • advising the applicant of the reference number for tracking purposes (e.g. ECS000180).


Exports of plant and plant produce to countries within the EU (Commercial)

Export of plants and plant produce to countries within the EU (Non-Commercial)

  • There are no movement restrictions on personal quantities however we do recommend that the plants or plant products are accompanied by a valid plant passport.  For details of the plants that require a plant passport please click here

Queries in relation to any of the matters mentioned above can be sent to   

Q: I want to exports plants and or plant products to another member state of the EU.

A: Follow the REGISTRATION & PROCEDURES FOR EXPORT link on the departments webpage

Q: I want to export plants commercially to a country outside the EU?

A: Follow the REGISTRATION & PROCEDURES FOR EXPORT link on the departments webpage 

Q: I want to bring a personal quantity of plants or plant products to a country outside the EU.  What do I do?

A: There is no special allowance for personal quantities of plants and plant products to be brought into a country outside the EU.  If you wish to do this you should follow  the same procedures for commercial produce on the REGISTRATION & PROCEDURES FOR EXPORT link on the DAFM’s webpage 

Q: What is a Phytosanitary Certificate?

A: A Phytosanitary Certificate is an official document issued by the Horticulture and Plant Health Division of the Department of Agriculture, Food and the Marine to indicate that consignments of plants, plant products or other regulated articles meet specified phytosanitary import requirements, and are in conformity with the requirements of the National Plant Protection Organisation (NPPO) of the Importing Country.

Q: When should a Phytosanitary Certificate be required?

A: Importing Countries should only require phytosanitary certificates for regulated articles. These include commodities such as plants, bulbs and tubers, or seeds for propagation, fruits and vegetables, cut flowers and branches, grain, and growing medium.

Q: In what other circumstances can Phytosanitary Certificates be issued?

A: Phytosanitary certificates may also be issued for certain plant products that have been processed, where such products, by their nature or that of their processing, have a potential for introducing regulated pests (e.g. wood, cotton). A phytosanitary certificate may also be required for other regulated articles where phytosanitary measures are technically justified (e.g. empty containers, vehicles, and organisms).

Q: What circumstances should a Phytosanitary Certificate not be required?

A: Under ISPM 12 (International Standards for Phytosanitary Measures) , importing countries should not require phytosanitary certificates for plant products that have been processed in such a way that they have no potential for introducing regulated pests.

Q: What is a Plant Passport?

A: A Plant Passport is an official label issued by a producer that has been authorised by the competent authority or NPPO (National Plant Protection Organisation). The Plant Passport is evidence that the provisions of the EU Directives relating to plant health standards and special requirements are satisfied and which are:

Standardised at Community level for different types of plants or plant products, and

Issued in accordance with the implementing rules governing the details of the procedure for issuing plant passports.

Plant Passports enable the producer to move plants within the EU subject to protected zone requirements.  For full details on a plant passport please click here.

Q: What does a Plant Passport look like? And where do i find it?

A: Typically a Plant Passport can be attached to the plant in the format below or referenced in the documentation associated with the consignment i.e. the invoice or the delivery docket.


Added 01.02.19