By using this website, you consent to our use of cookies. For more information on cookies see our privacy policy page.

Text Size: a a
Home A-Z Index Subscribe/RSS Contact Us Twitter logo small white bird

Dairy Science Laboratory

Welcome to the Dairy Science Laboratory

The first laboratory dedicated to the analysis of milk and milk products, the Butter Testing Station, opened in Dublin in 1926 under the Butter Produce Act (1924). Further laboratories opened in Cork and Limerick in 1967 and 1973, respectively. The Butter Testing Station was renamed the Dairy Science Laboratory in 1980. In 2005, the laboratory in Dublin moved to a state of the art laboratory in Backweston, Celbridge, Co. Kildare.

After Ireland's entry into the European Economic Community in 1973 the focus of the Dairy Science Laboratories was on chemical testing for market support schemes, in particular butter, skimmed milk powder and casein. During the 1990s the emphasis shifted from chemical testing to food safety testing, with the adoption of Directive 92/46, which set down the hygiene requirements for the placing on the market of milk and milk products. In 2006, EU Directive 92/46 was replaced by the "Hygiene Package", including microbiological criteria for foodstuffs (Regulation 2073/2005). It includes methods of analysis and forms the basis of the Dairy Science Laboratories microbiological surveillance of milk and milk products.

Links to each of the laboratories scopes of accreditation are given below: